Saturday, April 28, 2007

"Excruciating to Touch the Rock"

That's how Elijah described the grim 94 degree weather. By far the hottest day of the season, everyone's motivation was down. I tried to redpoint Manny's new line, White Cougar (12b), but failed (video). That go also took up half of my 20 minute interval.

This was one of the most painful climbing days I've experienced. Every lap after lap ten was an exercise in motivation and pain tolerance. My goal was 17 laps. I completed the first 16 (Power, Sea, Cougar twice, Chips three times, ProSkill three times, Shatterhand three times, Hell, The Natural, AutoMagic). The final lap was on Anchor Punch, but it was just too much; I made it 1/4 the way up and lowered.

Today was the first day I really doubted my ability to do the challenge. Two reasons: skin and my left shoulder. I think I can alleviate some of the skin issue by starting at 5:30-6:00 am when its still cool. That way I can do the 12 laps of 12d before it warms up. I'm not sure what to do about my shoulder. It's gotten some better, but it still gets very tired around lap 10-11 every day.

Elijah set a new weight record on Chips Ahoy (12d) by redpointing it twice weighing 197 pounds. Very impressive. I don't know if Normal Guy or Paul had any fun. I heard a lot of bitching about heat, skin pain, and generally getting worked by the Tor.

Next Saturday's weather is supposed to be a lot better: in the high 60s to low 70s. I will be switching to 15 minute intervals, which I'm very nervous about.

2 comments:

Ted said...

Stupid question: Is the weight record adding weights while climbing, or does Eli just weight that much?

Anonymous said...

That's all him.