Saturday, March 31, 2007

Training at the Tor Week 2

Morning stats: 176.0 lbs, 7.1% body fat. Elijah “Shamu” Ball weighed in at an impressive 201 last night. It's in the high 70's at the Tor, noticably hotter than last weekend. We do the obligatory warm-ups on Power and the Sea and head over to do out four laps on Chips (12d). Watching Elijah go up this route four times weighing 25 pounds more than me is both impressive and inspiring. After this, my ability to do basic math is gone: I know we did Power and the Sea and that's two, and I know we just did four laps on Chips, but I have to confirm with Elijah asking “We've done six routes, correct?” In the context of my challenge, a lap on Chips is much harder than a lap on Shatterhand, so I might rethink my final climbing order.

We do a lap on Shatterhand and then The Natural. Elijah bows out at this point, but its an excellent first day of the season. I proceed to do two laps on AutoMagic, one on Hell, and one on Anchor. Twelve laps total on the half hour. I'm totally devistated but have achieved my goal for the day. My arms and legs are cramping the whole drive home.

I bump into Elijah at dinner when I'm on my third vodka martini, he says “Yeah, I need a drink so I don't get sore.” Next week the goal is twelve laps on 25 minute intervals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having experienced the Tor firsthand, I say indeed this birthday challenge is a task of the highest order. Dee and I are hoping to come spectate on the fateful day.